Thursday 29 April 2010

Day 48 and 49 - back to Cardiff and Aberdâr

"Dark night of the soul..."

I couldn't sleep this weekend.  There are many worries on my mind...

I came at a bad time.  I had to leave Aber because I couldn't stop playing the harp and my fingers hadn't calloused over yet.  My fingers were starting to squeak against the strings which is never a good sound.

So, off to Cardiff and my timing wasn't good.  Mel, Paul and the boys were having a tough weekend.  That should teach me.  Can't just keep showing up at people's doorsteps unannounced.

Shame though, cause I like the idea and it reminds of the way the old Melba used to be.

Let me explain the Melba.
The Melba is an apartment building back in Edmonton, in this neighbourhood called Park Allen.  The area itself is really great.  Most of the buildings have character and there's a great big field, park and school in the middle of the neighbourhood.

The Melba, at one point, was mainly musicians, artists and writers.  It was a great community.  The best part of it was, we all kept our doors open nearly all the time.  Which led to many impromptu parties, gatherings, jam sessions and sharing of food.  I used to love that.  Especially Sunday mornings, when we all made breakfast for each other and played experimental music or sat around and painted and laughed.

The Melba changed over the years.  The lower floors mainly got taken over by nondescript unsociable folks.  Another big change happened in the upper floors.  The doors started to be kept closed more and more often until finally it was rare to see anyone in the building.

The great community vanished.  And...

I miss that.

I really miss that... And then it became much more difficult to get anyone in Edmonton to play at all (unless there was scads of money).  Few musicians there rehearse and you can tell.  Goddamn, it was like pulling teeth, trying to get anything to happen.  Just brutal!  Calgary was different, better...  But the energy just got depleted a bit...


So far, my experiences here have been great... folks here actually want to play, love to play... they've created a tight knit artistic community... and it reminds me of the old Melba.  So, raise your glass and stand with me...

A toast to the old Melba.  The best community that ever was!  Rest in peace...


I did some shopping in Cardiff and did a short trip to Aberdâr with Paul and the boys.  The area here is definitely like the interior of BC.  Mainly because the forestry commission has decided to plant mainly pine trees which is dead on BC.

Most of the houses in Aberdâr were built all at once to accommodate all the migrant workers, attracted by the coal industry.  "The Valleys" are what this area is referred to.  Most of the mines were located in The Valleys.  The accents here are interesting.  I've heard it referred to as Wenglish sometimes.  They speak English but grammatically it's Welsh.  Very cool...

Watched 24 hour party people with Paul.  A movie about punks and new wave... The Jam, Joy Division, New Order, The Smiths, The Cure, Sex Pistols.  Very interesting...

A pic of Cosmo and Bob... Owl and Raven...


...

There are times when my heart feels heavy.  Times when life gets lonely.  Times I feel old and weary rather than ancient.  Sometimes I'm torn by doubt and derision.

I sometimes wonder if I've made the right choice coming to Wales...

These are the moments when the decision has to come, to get up out of the muck and mud, to struggle forward.  In these moments, I'm unstoppable, like an ox.  I always make the choice to rise eventually.


Of course, I miss everyone back home.  I miss the bands and musicians, No More Shapes, all my friends, Amber, the dojo... and most of all I miss Elissa.

The first time I talked to her over skype a few weeks ago, what's left of this ashen heart, shattered.

I've dreamed of living in Wales since I was just 21.  Nearly moved here then but at the last minute, I got this house gig at Red's.  And the rest is history, as they say.

Been trying to move here ever since...


It's clearly been the right choice.  I'm meeting great people, playing great music, living where my ancestors lived, following my instincts... and that's bound to influence Elissa, in a good way.

And Elissa is a strong, clever and intelligent girl... tough, stubborn, tenacious and extremely artistic.  "She who taught me Love..."

Plan on bringing her out during the summer and I hope that can happen...

That's what's on my mind.

But not to worry.
All of this... keeps one nice and low to the ground...


Next, out West and back home...
Hwyl.

No comments:

Post a Comment