Tuesday 30 March 2010

Day 6 and 7 - Cei Newydd

This morning, I woke up early to catch a bus out to West Wales.  Turns out, there is no bus at that time on a Sunday.  Hung out for a bit in a Starbucks (ych a fi!) for the free wifi.  They don't know how to make half sweet chai lattes here.  Just full on sugar.  Eventually made it onto the X40 bus at 6:15 that night.  The bus very shortly became utterly crowded with students and all their gear.  It was pretty uncomfortable.  Most of the people stood for the four hours.  At least, I had a seat.  Finally made it into Aberaeron around 9:45.

Geraint, Sam's husband, was there to pick me up thankfully.  Geraint's super chilled and a good hang.

Sam and Geraint graciously let me stay in their house for the week.  It was great to see them again and get caught up over a couple glasses of wine and some wonderful food.  Sam (Samantha Wynne-Rhydderch) is extremely brilliant and clever.  She's very well known as a poet, with two books published, and might be possibly the hardest working artist I've ever met.  I should say that Sam is my cousin and Mel's sister.

Sam has also been incredibly helpful with looking for a place for me to settle.  She had collected a handful of brochures about West Wales for me to check out.  My family here is awesome!

The following day, both Sam and Geraint were off working so I just wandered around Cei Newydd (New Quay) where they live.  It's a quaint little village built on the cliffs above the sea.  All the houses look slightly Georgian and are painted in vibrant blues, pinks, yellows and whites.  Down by the sea front, a massive stone pier has been built which holds back the ocean waves just a little.  I ate down at the fish and chip shop, a massive veggie breakfast, with beans, hash browns, fried tomatoes, toast, veggie sausage and eggs.

I'm staying in their house, Hafod Arfen, up in the attic which has been done up complete with its own bathroom.  The view from there is spectacular.  On a clear day you can see all the way up to the Llyn peninsula.

I love the landscape here.  I love the ocean.  All thoughts diminish into silence in her presence. Just stand in the emptiness and soak it all in.  Meditation without having to meditate.  Beautiful!

"I am born of this" - from the movie 'Constantine'.  I am born of this ocean.

I don't know exactly how long my ancestors have been in the area but it feels as if from time immemorial.  I touch the ground and feel them and feel my skin hum with familiarity.  There's nothing that calms and energizes my spirit more than this.  This ground, this earth, these black cliffs, this yellow gorse, this ocean, these waves, this salty wind, these green hills.  But I digress...

Later in the evening, had a wonderful supper with Sam and Geraint.  A tasty dish of potatoes with baked French cheese, wine, salad and finishing with more cheese.  Then, retired to the front room, with a proper fire and their two Siamese cats, Twm and Bela.  The perfect life!  Honestly and truly perfect.

What more could you ask for?
Next time, onto Capel-y-wig...
Hwyl.

No comments:

Post a Comment