Wednesday 26 October 2011

One Year, Week 14 - Recording with Julie

Dreams...

This is it... here...

All that I left behind, this long journey, all culminates in this moment.  I don't think I could have dreamed up something so unbelievable, so incredible...

I have written often about Julie.  Julie was the one and only Welsh singer that caught my attention all those years ago.  Her music is what inspired me to take an interest in Welsh music.  Her voice is the voice I hear at night, the voice that carries me forward on my journey.

How is it that I'm now recording with my guide and mentor... I don't know.  But I do know that I now count both Julie and Ceri "Ffliwt" amongst my closest friends.

We started early.  Jens brought his gear with him to Pencader where we were to record.  I think it was the third time that I had recorded with him during the year.  He introduced me to this crazy volcanic mud drink during the session... I actually grew to like them.  Ceri "Ffliwt" made food for us so that we wouldn't have to worry about anything else...

Of course, I was quite nervous about the whole thing.  I played my trombone and though I'm well past my prime on that instrument, I think it went quite well.  Basically, I did my best to emulate Julie's voice throughout.  I was much more nervous about the harp.  It's still a relatively new instrument for me, but, for the most part, the harp went alright.  And whenever it got a bit tense, Jens would pull out some wicked tidbit from his Profanisaurus.

Naturally, Julie was amazing.

Her voice the earth herself embodied in sound, the silence before dark, the start of all creation... and her piano playing was brilliant!  She took several risks with some heavy improvisations... massively impressive.  Before the recording, at one point I looked over at her and had a vision of Thelonious Monk.

There were moments of quiet intense emotion...

So I won't say more, other than, I hope you'll all buy the album when it comes out.  It is something that I am intensely proud of.


Next, onto Llangrannog with Elsa...

Hwyl.


No comments:

Post a Comment